Sunday, January 8, 2012

[A Beer a Day] Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter (2011) | (512) Brewing | Austin, TX

All grownds up!


So, I've kept this little beautiful baby cellared for about 10 months and I figured that NYE was just the opportunity to ring-a-ding-ding-ding-dong, particularly since I had the pleasure of pairing with something Jessican as the main-course-protien [that is, dem shawt-ribs].  This could have very well been the rarest thing I've ever had in my cellar, as the bottle was an extremely rare bottle release by one of the Austin brew scene's elder statesman: (512) in south Austin.  It was bottle 297 out of 996 total.  So, shit got real.

The point of the pairing was supposed to be An Executive's Dinner -- fine, slow-roasted meats and late-night cigars and whiskey.  But, since we were planning on enduring until midnight at the very least, whiskey barrel porters would have to be the potion.

I must say that this shit aged masterfully.  There was little-to-no head and zero lacing, mimicking very accurately the very substance it intended to imitate.  The pecan notes were enormous, only to be walloped by the overt oaken grain mash flavor and scent.  It was beautiful and it was worth every second it took obtaining and caring for it.  Thankfully, I still have bottle 233.

ABV: 9.2%
Acquired: Twin Liquors special release

No comments: