Wednesday, January 4, 2012

[A Beer a Day] Koko Brown Ale w/ toasted coconuts | Kona Brewing | Honolulu, HI

Aloha! Means, ehh.


I bought a six-pack of this based on the strength of their Coffee Porter, which was the awesomest coffee beer until Sputnik launched a huge rocketship on their asses.  I'm really not a fan of Brown Ales at all.  I find them terribly thin and one-note, and all-around boring.  An exception to this rule is Newcastle Nut Brown Ale, which was my gateway drug into fine-imbibing (and the inspiration for my Engrish footy choice) many, many years ago.  But overall, again, I find Browns to be markedly drab.  I did, however, think that TOASTED COCONUT! would make this brew ace, since coconut has a nice, rich, sweet flavor. 

The problem with Koko Brown is that, erm, there is no coconut flavor. None.  As in, I checked the label again to see if i picked up the wrong thing.  Nope.  Right there on the bottle.  I think that "toasted" coconut was perhaps the wrong choice -- probably put in the kettle during the final stages and got lost in the ferment.  Coconut oils would have been a far superior choice and would have permeated the alcohol.  Instead, as mentioned before -- its comes through as a typical Brown.  Boring, but drinkable.  However, this Orange Bowl between two, bottom-25 ranked teams, makes a perfect pairing.

ABV: 5.5%
Acquired: Spec's


No comments: